Saturday, September 1, 2007

Georgian Terrace - Definitely not 3.5 Stars

The Georgian Terrace - 2 Stars, not 3.5 Stars...
I travel to Atlanta ever other week for a couple of days at a time. I'm usually by myself and travel as inexpensive as possible. Still I'm able to get some good deals through hotwire (www.hotwire.com).

Last week, my wife decided to join me so I decided to splurge and get a 3.5 star hotel, normally I book the 3 star Hyatt Place in Buckhead for $54 per night plus tax (through hotwire). Hyatt Place is fantastic, 42" plasma TV, granite, newly renovated, free parking, free continental breakfast.

So I splurged for a 3.5 star and got the Georgian Terrace in Midtown, from the website it's a great place and it's in walking distance to Piedmont Park and tons of good restaurants. The GT ended up being $89 per night, plus tax. But what they don't mention is that parking is an extra $25 for valet service, and that doesn't include tips.

We checked into our room and man it was tiny and featured a full sized bed (Hyatt Place included a King!). I didn't even know they still made these things. In addtion to my wife, I had my 3 month old son, Max, with us and opted not to haul the crib along, figuring we would either get a King or two Queens. Obviously if I left things as they were, I'd be spending the night on the floor.

I called the front desk and told them of our dilemma. No problem, the guy at the front desk said he'd hook me up as long as I "took care of him". There goes another Andrew Jackson!

So we get the new room with a King and a Kitchen. The bed was nice, but otherwise the place was small and depressing. Here's the bitch list:
  1. Bathroom tub badly in need of caulk.

  2. Bathroom sink had cigarette burns around the edges of the sink.


  3. Old and damaged wall paper in kitchen. Notice the two tone paint around the light fixture.


  4. Frayed carpet at transitions, stained carpet.
  5. Here's my favorite, on the entrance door, they have that piece of hardware that replaced the old chain. Obviously someone had tried to force their way in with the bar in place. The result was the hardware was just hanging on and the door trim badly damaged.


  6. Stippled ceiling - nice 70's touch

  7. Old and deformed metal shades, that worked but that someone had removed the catch so that they had to remain down. Also notice the condition of the window ceil.
That said, there were some positives. The swimming pool on the roof was treated with saline chlorination from http://www.chlorking.com/. It was awesome, when you got out of the pool you didn't stink of chlorine and when you opened your eyes underwater, your eyes didn't sting. The pool appeared to be a 25 meter lap pool. Why don't they treat all pools this way?


What else? the elevators were fast and the employees very courteous.

The bottom line is this hotel while old, beautiful, elegant and geographically desireable is not maintained to 3.5 star standards. I'm glad I didn't pay full rate, and I doubt I'll be back.

No comments: